5 Tips for Preventing Cavities
You may have noticed some changes now that you are often wearing a mask. Not only may your breath smell different, but we have recently seen an increase in cavities in patients who wear masks for much of the day. Although we stress the importance of wearing a mask at this time, we have put together a few tips to help prevent cavities when you wear a mask.
How To Avoid Mask Mouth
- Make a conscious effort to seal your lips and breathe through your nose. Mouth breathing causes a decrease in the production and secretion of saliva, which provides a very important protective mechanism.
- Chew gum to promote saliva. Saliva coats and protects your teeth and all the tissue inside your mouth. Without sufficient mineral-rich saliva, we see rampant decay and gum disease!
- Remember to drink plenty of water. Wearing a mask has resulted in an obvious increase in dehydration and dry mouth. This is bad for your overall health, including oral health.
- Before you put on a mask and after you eat, try flossing and brushing your teeth. This will help eliminate any extra bacteria that may have been able to grow while your mask was on otherwise.
- Lastly, it is more important now than ever to visit your dentist for your routine cleanings. Your dentist will be able to properly clean your teeth and remove plaque build-up.
Visit Your Dentist
Here at Alrez Family Dentistry we have a modern and comfortable office and want to help patients with any concerns they may have. We can suggest additional and personalized tips for any changes you’ve noticed in your oral health. We are currently accepting new patients and we are following all COVID-19 guidelines to protect our staff and patients. Contact us today to make an appointment.