What are your New Year’s resolutions for this year? If you’re like many people, you might resolve to focus on your health and well-being, exercise more and eat better, or simply ditch bad habits that aren’t working for you. In fact in 2017, NBC reported that the most common New Year’s resolution was to get healthy. We think this is a great idea! However, when making those healthy resolutions, don’t forget to include your oral health!
A Healthy Body Means a Healthy Smile
As we’ve said in the past, the health of our smile goes beyond the surface. If you neglect your smile, this can increase your risk of pneumonia, heart disease, and dementia.
There are also the obvious benefits. A healthy mouth will allow you to chew and swallow your food properly, and a healthy set of chompers can be the boost forward that you need to tackle the year’s challenges with confidence. To avoid overwhelming yourself, start small and be consistent. Your teeth, and overall health, will thank you. Here are some simple dental resolutions to incorporate into your life this year.
Our Top 6 New Year’s Resolutions
- Get Better at Brushing and Flossing. You already know you should be brushing twice and flossing once a day, but we also know it can be easy to slack off, especially when you’re tired or busy. Make it part of your morning and night routine to carve out a few minutes dedicated specifically to your teeth. This will help you form good habits naturally. Also remember to change out your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months and switch to a soft bristled brush if you haven’t already to prevent any unwanted damage to your teeth.
- Break Bad Dental Habits. Most people have at least one bad habit that could be wrecking havoc on their teeth. Whether it’s biting your nails, consuming too many sugary foods and beverages, or smoking, make this year the year you stop. If needed, you can replace these habits with newer, healthy ones like eating more fruits and veggies or chewing sugar free gum.
- Drink More Water. When your body is properly hydrated, your oral health will benefit. A crucial component of your oral health is efficient saliva production, since this liquid wonder rinses leftover food particles off of your teeth. Because water is a building block of saliva production, you can see why doubling down will help keep your oral health in top shape.
- Visit Your Dentist Every 6 Months. It’s true, we love when you visit us in our office, but that isn’t the only reason we’re always pushing for six-month check-ups! We use x-rays to make sure there isn’t trouble brewing under the surface of your teeth, and those professional cleanings are the only way to remove tartar. By the way, if you make it to your twice-yearly checkups, you have a much lower chance of developing an issue that will require more intense treatment, such as a root canal or filling.
- Whiten Your Smile. While whitening your teeth is a cosmetic procedure, it can give you a tremendous boost of self-esteem. When your teeth are a dazzling shade of white, you won’t be able to stop smiling, and what a way to start the year! Learn more about our whitening services.
- Smile More! Did you know laughing actually helps burn extra calories? There are many benefits to laughing and smiling more, but the greatest one is how they boost positive feelings in yourself and others. So make it a point to smile more often and spread positivity in your daily life.
Happy New Year from all of us at Alrez Family Dentistry!